WHAT IS RCtv?
On National Canadian Film Day (NCFD) — Wednesday, April 18, 2018 — thousands of students across the country watched a great Canadian film, then logged into our live-stream to participate in discussions with Canadian stars and filmmakers, and engaged in lots of other online fun. 171 schools registered for RCtv this year — over 12,000 students from every single province and territory.
WHAT STUDENTS DID:
- Watch and discuss great Canadian films
- Participate in Q&As with stars and filmmakers
- Amplify school spirit and national pride by competing in games and quizzes with other schools on a national leaderboard, updated live
- See themselves on the big screen with student-submitted videos and questions
- Connect virtually with other students across the country
- Explore Canadian identity, culture and storytelling
WHAT TEACHERS RECEIVED:
- Lesson plans tied to the curriculum
- A copy of the film being screened (sign up by December 15th and you can keep the film for your school)
- Advice and support from our team on making the experience fun and memorable
PRIZES FOR PARTICIPATING:
In 2018, we awarded 2,500 prizes! Thanks to our partners at SCENE®, REEL CANADA gave out 2,500 Free General Admissions movie tickets, that can be used at Cineplex theatres – that’s one free movie for every participating student from each of the top-performing schools on our RCtv Leaderboard! (OR they can use the SCENE points at some great restaurants.) Wow!
“We can’t wait to get involved every year!” —Teacher from Holy Cross SS, St. Catharines, Ontario
We were honoured to welcome three of this country’s most celebrated film artists for the big event.
Treherne Collegiate in Manitoba topped the leaderboard during the RCtv webcast to win SCENE® points and other swag for their class!
John Oliver Secondary School in Vancouver were the surprise winners. Our team appeared in the class to hand out prizes to students as they watched the RCtv webcast!
Thank you to all the schools, students, teachers and guests who participated in RCtv!
“Students were completely engaged with the hands-on RCtv application and were at all times watching the screen and enjoying the interview and Twitter questions, and at the same time furiously trying to answer all the Canadian Movie Questions.” —Teacher from Portage CI, Portage la Prairie, Manitoba