WHAT IS RCtv?
RCtv is the biggest event in our school calendar, and the best way for high school students to celebrate National Canadian Film Day (NCFD) with their peers from coast to coast to coast!
On NCFD — April 22, 2020 — thousands of students across Canada will watch a great Canadian movie and log into our live-stream to participate in discussions with Canadian stars and filmmakers, and engage in lots of other online fun.
In 2019, over 200 high schools and more than 14,000 students across Canada participated:
We are delighted to announce this year’s RCtv film: The Grizzlies
Based on an inspiring true story, The Grizzlies is a powerful film about the determination and resilience of a group of Inuit youth struggling with the legacy of colonization. The Grizzlies is one of the best films of the year and a wonderful opportunity to share a timely, relevant, Indigenous-made story with your students and engage in a deep conversation about colonial structures and reconciliation.
Special guests include:
Stacey Aglok MacDonald (Inuk)
Producer, The Grizzlies
Paul Nutarariaq (Inuk)
Actor, The Grizzlies
Anna Lambe (Inuk)
Actor, The Grizzlies
WHEN IS IT?
Wednesday April 22, 2020
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
High school classes from grade 9 to 12, of any size – from a single class to a whole school.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
It’s really easy, and absolutely free of charge:
- Register by clicking the button below.
- Watch the film (streaming or DVD) in the week leading up to the webcast.
- Log into the webcast through an internet connection and watch live (on a screen big enough for all students to see).
- If you can’t watch live, we will provide you with a video to screen after the event.
- Watch and discuss a great Canadian movie
- Participate in discussions with stars & filmmakers
- See themselves on the big screen with student-submitted videos and questions
- Connect virtually with other students across the country
- Explore Canadian identity, culture and storytelling
TEACHERS WILL BE SUPPORTED WITH:
- Access to The Grizzlies
- Lesson plans tied to curriculum
- Advice and support to enhance the experience for your students
WHAT IS THE TIME COMMITMENT?
Schools must be able to screen the entire feature film within a week prior to the webcast. The webcast will run from 12:30 PM EST until 2:00 PM EST, and is designed so that you can log in at any time. We strongly recommend that you plan to watch for at least 40 minutes in order to catch all the segments (games, student questions, discussions and more).