CONGRATULATIONS TO THE TOP 10 SCHOOLS OF RCtv 2018!
WHAT IS RCtv?
On National Canadian Film Day (NCFD) — Wednesday, April 18, 2018 — thousands of students across the country will watch a great Canadian film, then log into our live-stream to participate in discussions with Canadian stars and filmmakers, and engage in lots of other online fun.
171 schools are registered for RCtv this year — over 12,000 students from every single province and territory.
Please check out our previous newsletters for next steps:
- First Set of Instructions (How it works, Choose a Film, Book the Date and Time)
- Second Set of Instructions (Filmmaker Guests Announced, Send in your Videos and Questions)
- Third Set of Instructions (Promote your Event and Lesson Plans)
- Fourth Set of Instructions (Movies for Teachers and Pizza for Students)
- Fifth Set of Instructions (Important Tech Instructions)
- Watch and discuss great Canadian films
- Participate in Q&As with stars and filmmakers
- Amplify school spirit and national pride by competing in games and quizzes with other schools on a national leaderboard, updated live
- See themselves on the big screen with student-submitted videos and questions
- Connect virtually with other students across the country
- Explore Canadian identity, culture and storytelling
TEACHERS WILL RECEIVE:
- Lesson plans tied to the curriculum
- A copy of the film being screened (sign up by December 15th and you can keep the film for your school)
- Advice and support from our team on making the experience fun and memorable
PRIZES FOR PARTICIPATING:
Last year, RCtv gave out three prizes to the top three schools in our nationwide competition. This year, we are awarding 2,500 prizes! Thanks to our partners at SCENE®, REEL CANADA will be giving out 2,500 Free General Admissions movie tickets, that can be used at Cineplex theatres – that’s one free movie for every participating student from each of the top-performing schools on our RCtv Leaderboard!! (OR they can use the SCENE points at some great restaurants.) Wow!
“We can’t wait to get involved every year!” —Teacher from Holy Cross SS, St. Catharines, Ontario
WHEN IS IT?
National Canadian Film Day: Wednesday, April 18th, 2018
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
It’s easy and participation is completely free! Just email email@example.com with the subject heading “RCtv – Your School Name – Your City” or call 1-855-733-5709
CHOOSE YOUR FILM AND REVIEW THE CONTENT ADVISORY
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
High school classes grades 9 to 12. Groups can range from a single class to a whole school.
WHAT EQUIPMENT DO WE NEED?
Schools must have the capacity to screen a DVD of the film, which REEL CANADA will provide. To participate in the live-stream Q&A, your computer must have an internet connection, and the stream must be displayed on a screen large enough for all the students to see.
WHAT IS THE TIME COMMITMENT?
Schools must be prepared to screen the entire feature film within two days prior to the webcast. The webcast will be 60 minutes long.
British Columbia, Yukon: 9:30 – 10:30 am PDT
Alberta, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories, western Nunavut: 10:30 – 11:30 am MDT
Manitoba, central Nunavut, some parts of western Ontario: 11:30 am – 12:30 pm CDT
Majority of Ontario, Quebec, eastern Nunavut: 12:30 – 1:30 pm EDT
New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Labrador: 1:30 – 2:30 pm ADT
Newfoundland: 2:00 – 3:00 pm NDT
Note: As with all REEL CANADA events, we will request some written feedback and demographic data following the screening.
We’re honoured to welcome three of this country’s most celebrated film artists for the big event. Start thinking of your questions now!
Download this info as a print-friendly PDF.
“Students were completely engaged with the hands-on RCtv application and were at all times watching the screen and enjoying the interview and Twitter questions, and at the same time furiously trying to answer all the Canadian Movie Questions.” —Teacher from Portage CI, Portage la Prairie, Manitoba